Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Parent Praises Sonoma Developmental Center Staff and PHA Efforts on Behalf of SDC Residents

Bouquet de fleurs du jardin by Guy Moll
(Creative Commons license)
To the Sonoma Developmental Center and the Parent Hospital Association:

As some of you know, my daughter Ana Cuadrado, was a client at Sonoma Development Center and after a recent battle, she passed away peacefully last month. During my healing process, I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to write a letter to all of you. 

In this letter, I want to share my sincere and heartfelt gratitude towards the immensely dedicated people that were Ana’s “SDC family” over the past five years. You all were an incredible force for Ana, myself and our family; and words cannot express how much our family appreciates your support and services.

From Cathy Conway, our fantastic caring and professional social worker, to the incredible competent and dedicated medical staff, led by Dr. Pecha and Dr. Mary Christensen in particular, and to the daytime and nighttime staff of Johnson C Unit. All of you were not only doing your jobs, but you went above and beyond, by showing extra compassion and kindness, even developing a special bond with Ana and myself. It takes a special person, with a special heart, to work with such integrity. These are characteristics that are often obscure, and many times missing in the world of health and social care. After so many years of dealing with developmental services, social services, doctors, nurses, and hospital systems; I found that such traits as “empathy” and “compassion” are often overlooked. I can honestly say, that the world of health and social care is a better place because of people like you. Furthermore, the world is a better place with the people like you that dedicate yourselves to working every day at the Sonoma Development Center.



I also would be remiss if I don’t mention the extraordinary work and efforts that the Parent Hospital Association does on behalf of the SDC clients, every day....Every. Single. Day. It takes an enormous amount of energy and dedication to fight against the ugly and powerful machinery of the government bureaucracy that has no room for consideration of the needs and rights of the individual people that make up the “disabled” population of California. All of your hard work does not go unnoticed for the families, and for that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I cannot stress enough for the need to continue the support for the above-mentioned HEROES, because without you, the future is very bleak for those who cannot speak for their own rights.

My daughter was, without a doubt, in the best possible place for taking care of her needs, and with the best people taking care of her. As I write this letter, and as I have known all along, I am at peace knowing that I made the right decision when I chose Sonoma Developmental Center for her home. And because Ana was not able to express that enough to let you know how appreciative she was, I am.

Thank you for the years of dedication that you provided to her.  I will forever be a supporter of SDC and PHA.

Warmest regards,
Ana Cuadrado's mother

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...